I’m no fool. I know i send a lot of emails about things i’m selling or charging for. There was a time when absolutely everything I did was free, but as the demand for my production increased it became unsustainable. So, I had to start charging money for a lot of things I do. I recently became solely self-employed. This means that some months i’m comfortable, and other months less so. My particular flavour of neurodivergence means that too often traditional employment is not manageable for me, meaning that I am reliant on self-employment to allow me to survive. The conundrum I find myself in is that now I am working within a system that I never wanted to be a part of. Trying to be productive enough to keep my finances flowing. Write blogs, sell t-shirts, and host enough livestreams that i can meaningfully mentor other neurodivergent people, engage with the academic work that I love (but doesn’t pay), write books and still find time to make videos for free. It feels like a lot of pressure a lot of the time. It also feels uncomfortable to me because my client and customer base is a group that themselves has similar struggles to me. It feels like i’ve turned into the corporate capitalist monster that I wanted to bring down. My only hope is that people see the sincerity of my words and my desperation to make the world a better place, even if I have to earn a living while doing so. If you have read this far, I thank you for keeping with me not just during this rant, but also over the course of my work. I honestly do love the work I do; it’s being forced to exist under capitalism that sucks. David If you are able to engage with some of my paid offerings, here’s a few that might interest you. My Upcoming Live Event (Online) My Upcoming Meet The Author Event (In-Person) Or you can Buy Me A Coffee You're currently a free subscriber to David Gray-Hammond. For the full experience, upgrade your subscription. |
Monday, 3 November 2025
The Frustration Of Being Neurodivergent & Self-Employed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The 'Hear Her' Training workshop is back!
We will be running an online training workshop in March for women who want to learn more about running for election ...
-
Dear Reader, To read this week's post, click here: https://teachingtenets.wordpress.com/2025/07/02/aphorism-24-take-care-of-your-teach...
-
A slightly unconventional guide to your first time ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ...

No comments:
Post a Comment